Chicago is home to a patchwork of ethnic groups. For this assignment, you and a partner will be visiting a Chicago neighborhood to evaluate the cultural landscape. Look for evidence of diffusion, material and non-material culture, and any other elements of culture you may encounter.
1. History of the Neighborhood
- First residents- settlers
- Changes over time
Compare census data from 1980 and 2010
Push and Pull factors that have led them to this area
Why these changes have taken place
- Gentrification or Deinvestment
- Neighborhood Flight
2. What is the neighborhood today
- Residents - dominant ethnic groups today
- Average cost of a home/renting an apartment
- Demographics of the local schools
- Types of businesses and economic opportunities
- Restaurants, customs, festivals, etc.
- Cultural centers: churches, funeral homes, and grocery stores
3. Issues of race and/or ethnicity in the area
4. Map of the area (in relation to the whole of Chicago)
- One item that represents the culture of the neighborhood
- Movie, Powerpoint, or other presentation to the class to teach them about the neighborhood you explored.
- Pictures or video footage of your neighborhood
- Include the information listed above