Letter Writing as Civic Engagement
Civic Engagement Letter Outline - Due Nov. 14
List of Issues
Suggested Issues include:
- Immigration: Dream Act? Border Control? Amnesty?
- Economy: Job Creation? Taxes? Unemployment Benefits?
- Education: College costs? No Child Left Behind? Other?
- Energy and Environment: Nuclear Energy? Biofuels? Clean Energy?
- Internet Regulation: Censorship? Privacy? Other?
- Military and Veterans: Benefits? Jobs? PTSD support?
- Judicial reform: Mandatory sentencing? Prisons? Wrongful convictions?
- Foreign Policy: War against Terrorism? Foreign Aid?
- Social Issues: Defense of marriage Act (DOMA)? Healthcare?
- Science: Stem Cell Research? Global Warming?
- etc..... please see Ms. Levin if there is something else which really interests you
Be sure to FOCUS on a specific aspect for your letter.
Talk with your parents and others about their views.
For more information, consider checking here:
Research Topics on Current/Controversial Issues -
Rice Library (University of Southern Indiana) Collection
Subscription Databases Controversial Issues
Use Advanced Search for best results
CQ Researcher current controversial issues
For Newspaper Editorials and Commentaries:
ProQuest includes articles from New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Christian Science Monitor and many others.
Media and Website Resources on Issues
NPR (National Public Radio) has news, commentary and podcasts on current events
ProCon.org - A non-profit organization that provides detailed information, statistics, and the pro/con arguments for current and populartopics.
Technorati - provides links to top blogs on US Politics, including Huffington Post, The Foundry (Conservative Policy), Daily Kos, etc.
New York Times Topics pages: Topic pages aggregate useful news, archival information, photos, graphics, audio and video they publish; one example is on Politics; check if there is one on your specific issue.
Added 12/11 based on SILC input: On the Issues - provides links to quotes and background positions - check dates for timeliness
New Trier: OTHER Civic Engagement Projects - suggested links on local issues and service.
Created Nov. 2011 by L. Straube with input from A. Levin and her Student Instructional Leadership Corps student. Updated November 2012.